Donauwörth - a gem on the Romantic Road.
Thanks to its location along the Romantic Road, the city is a popular destination for a city trip. But it is also an ideal starting point for outings and sightseeing in the beautiful area. Donwörth used to be a Free Imperial City, and offers plenty of sights from that era. Today, the city is the social and economic centre of the region, a transport hub and favourite place for shoppers.
Leisure activities at the Youth Hostel
- Ping-pong tables indoors and outdoors
- Table football
- Board games on loan ("Tabu", "Scotland Yard" etc.)
- Stereo system with CD player
- Large garden for group games
- Football ground and volleyball field with net
- Badminton sets, large "Schwungtuch" (special large cloth that can be used for group exercises), skipping ropes and other sports equipment
- Rental bikes (against a fee) for a quick trip to the city or a day tour of the region
Leisure activities in the area
- Football ground nearby, Kneipp health pool and barefoot trail, playground (10 minutes), heated outdoor pool with 90-metre slide (20 minutes)
- Canoe rental nearby
- City rally and nature trail rally
- Käthe Kruse doll museum and guided tours of the Käthe Kruse workshops,
- Archaeological museum,
- Regional museum (with a focus on fishery),
- Various well-signposted hiking paths and cycling tours with varying lengths,
- Ideas for inline skate tours in and around Donauwörth
Outings and excursions
- Hikes to Kaisheim (prison museum), Ries, Mertinger Höll, along one of the nature trails in the area or one of the long-distance hiking trails that lead past Donauwörth.
- Canoe tours on the Wöritz
- Bike tours, for instance along the Romantic Road or Via Claudia Augusta, or to the Altmühltal. Several well-signposted round tours for cyclists from Donauwörth
- Outing to Harburg Castle, to the Roman city of Weissenburg or to the Dehner gardens in Rain (individually or with your group or school class)
- "Tiefer Stollen" mine in Aalen, which is open to visitors
- Nördlingen, including a visit of the "Riesenkrater" museum and a walk along the city wall
- Day out in Nuremberg, Augsburg, Munich or Ulm (easy to reach by train with the "Bayern Ticket" or at low fares for groups)
- Legoland in Günzburg (65 km)
- Giengen, with the Steiff teddy bear museum and Charlottenhöhle
- Geopark Ries with the Rieskrater-Planetenweg footpath, caves, quarries, heather landscapes and various guided tours of the Geopark.